Newsarama WWC '08 Kirkman interview

Newsarama caught up with Robert Kirkman at Wizard World Chicago for this quick chat in the middle of the con floor and took the opportunity to ask the writer why his Destroyer Max series didn't show up in September solicitations for Marvel as expected. "I think it was premature to say it was going to be showing up in September when they announced it. I hadn't really been planning on it being September. That may have been a mistake. But as far as I know right now, it's December," he said of the series, which is being drawn by Kirkman's Invincible collaborator, Cory Walker. "Cory is nearing completion of the first issue. I'm in Chicago, so I don't know, but he's supposed to have a bunch of pages done this weekend. We'll be done with issue #1 next week, and we'll be moving on from there for a December launch."

The series allows Kirkman to do a little "world-building" for Marvel similar to what he's done in Invincible and Walking Dead for Image. Telling the story of an older superhero who lives in his own superhero/supervillain universe in the Marvel "Max" imprint, it revives the Destroyer character originally created by Stan Lee."It may be the best comic I've ever written. I like all of my books equally. I've had as much fun doing them as I have on any other book. But most of the time I get done with a script and I'm like, 'Y-y-yeah, I'll try harder next time.' But when I'm writing this one, I get done writing a script and I think, 'Wow, that is totally neat.' I'm really excited for it. Destroyer has a lot of cool stuff in it. It's a totally cool character. It's a Max book, so I'm crossing boundaries. And I'm doing more crazy stuff in this one than I've ever done," he said.Kirkman said readers who enjoy his work at Image didn't like his Marvel stuff as well will probably like Destroyer Max because Marvel is giving him free rein to create his own universe."It feels like I'm doing an Image book, and that's part of the fun for me. I don't own the character; Stan Lee created the character back in 1940-something. I'm just coming in and basically changing everything. [laughs] But it's completely free rein," he said. "There are different aspects I'm doing, and I'm bringing in all kinds of new characters and doing a lot of new stuff. That's what excites me -- being able to blaze a new trail."